Many of the things we do at the NRC would not be possible if it were not for our commercial kitchen and natural garden.
Opportunities made possible by the Kitchen and Garden:
- Healthy after-school snacks – Kids will learn how to prepare healthy snacks and learn about their nutritional value.
- Pre-K Meals- The Montessori students are fed a healthy breakfast, lunch and snack daily.
- Nutrition Education and Healthy Cooking Classes – Classes cover the basics of nutrition education, how to choose and prepare foods so they retain their nutritional value. Classes are offered for the after school program.
- Natural Gardening – The garden is in an adjoining lot, where we grow many of the ingredients we use in the kitchen. Once a week, the kids have gardening class and learn about food production and organic methods.
We are grateful for support in building the café and garden from:
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Council of Carpenters: United Brotherhood of Carpenters Local-388 and Millwrights Local-1402
- Leadership Metro Richmond
- Bon Secours
- Millie’s Diner
- The Morgan, Scott, Gwathmey and Community Foundations
- SMBW Architects
- Tricycle Gardens
- Truland Electric Systems